I recently rediscovered how competitive the XP 310 can be. Its hire rate of fire and mobility make it a pretty decent light primary. With that being said, it seems to be lacking a little something to push it over the edge, and that something is firepower. In a recent duel my 310 just couldn’t stand up to the amount of payload the Blazer could deliver, so I went back to the drawing board.
I decided to replace the smallest nozzle (0.8 mm) with a larger “0.171 in” (4.34 mm) nylon spacer. Unfortunately, the new nozzle produced streams with a lot of turbulence. Although the range had increased from 33 ft (10 m) to 38 ft (11.6 m) half of the payload sprayed out and fell well short of the target. I decided that it needed a laminator.
If you haven’t done so already, read JL Space Marine’s seminal article on how to create a nozzle laminator over at Super Soaker Central. This design, can be found in stock blasters such as the CPS 2000 or XP Pool Pumper Blaster that feature noticeably smooth streams. Unfortunately, this design was too large for my XP 310. There was no way I could add a 3/4″ piece of PVC and still keep the stock selector. So, I improvised. But first, before we get to the guide, let’s take a look at a few pictures of the process that got us to this point.
My XP 310 and the nozzle selector removed.
What a 310 shot looks like without a nozzle selector. The open nozzle is 7/32″ or 5.56 mm, which is pretty close to an 8.5x nozzle. As you can see, the stream doesn’t really hold together that well.
Here’s some pictures from my initial nozzle replacement mod. As you can see, the stream is a little improved, but still has a lot of turbulence in the stream.
Now, for the actual mini laminator. I took a regular drinking straw, cut it down to size where if I placed the nylon spacer on top the combined length was the same as the original stock 310 nozzle. I superglued the straw, ever so carefully, over the open hole where the smallest stock nozzle had been. Then I placed 4 coffee stirrers, cut to the same length, inside the straw. This is our basic laminator.
To keep the coffee stirrers from flying out of the straw I need to place something on the end. This could have been wire or plastic mesh if I had wanted the nozzle size to be the same as the straw, but I didn’t, so I placed the laminator back on top and used just a touch of super glue (you’d be surprised at how little will hold it together).